Tuesday, July 23, 2019

More Mothing

In addition to birding and other wildlife viewing we set up a couple of sheets and lights at Edie's Pocono Place and did a bit of mothing. And had a number of nice moths visit.


The large moth in the center of the image is a Catalpa Sphinx. I know not what the other two are.


Salt-and-Pepper Geometer. It blends in rather well with the fence board don't you think.


A somewhat worn Giant Leopard Moth. I like the blue spots (regular leopards should sport such spots!).


Another worn moth, this one I think is a Walnut Sphinx.


A very stylish Northern Pine Looper.


This one is called "The Angel". I suppose it looks like it is in religious garb, maybe?


The Lessor Maple Spanworm. Named for the caterpillar of course. Looks angelic to me.


The three similar looking large moths on the board are Common Lytrosis Moths. And, living up to it's name, they were the most numerous at the sheets, showing up in double digits.


Another sphinx, the Virginia Creeper Sphinx. We had five species of sphinx visit this evening. Big moths, they are crowd pleasers at mothing events. And here at Edie's as well.


A Medium Dagger.


One of my favorites, the Banded Tussock Moth. And one of the stars of my first ever mothing blog post.


This methinks is an Early Button Slug Moth. Regardless, where does that name come from?


Yet another sphinx, the Pawpaw Sphinx.


The moth is a Mottled Snout. Ok, I can see where that name came from. (I've not ID the other critter, difficult with the head cut off.)


The Large Maple Spanworm.


We'll end with the Beautiful Wood-nymph. Along with two leafhoppers and a smaller unidentified moth.

We had a very nice and very late night of mothing. It was a long day and I was quite tired when we finally headed in for bed. Note that I didn't say turn the lights out. We left them on lest one of us wake up and want to see what else may have fluttered in. I did not wake up. And there were plenty of moths on the sheet the next morning, much to the delight of the resident avifauna.

🦋  🦋  🦋  🦋  🦋

Thanks to Edie Parnum, for hosting and moth ID's, and Patty Rehn and Ann-Marie Woods for help with moth ID's. Any mis-identifications are mine.

No comments: