Saturday, December 29, 2018

Now You're Just F*cking With Me

Really?


Unfortunately I did not record the name of the 'artist' for this piece.

I'm in the wrong line of work.

So are you.

🖼  ðŸŽ¨  ðŸ–¼  ðŸŽ¨  ðŸ–¼  ðŸŽ¨  ðŸ–¼

Patty and I had a discussion on the way home from the Museum about art. We both like works by the artist Piet Mondrian, and have one of his prints hanging in our home today. But we disagree on his "genius" as an artist. While I like his works, it is obvious that I could easily recreate them. Whereas I could not do so for Monet or Picasso. Thus those two to me are somehow 'better' artists than Mondrian. Patty disagrees and argues that Mondrian was the first to do it and thus deserves the credit. And while I get that, it seems to me that Monet and Picasso will still be looked upon as great artists centuries from now while Mondrian will be forgotten, his art too much a product of his time.

As an extreme example of this, John Cage's 'musical' composition, 4'33", will be long forgotten while Bach's Musical Offering will still be enjoyed years from now. Cage's work was too much a period piece, it's meaning depending very much on the cultural context of the times.

Or consider the subject of the prior post. Will it still be considered art worthy of one's attention a century from now?

As to the unknown artist who's work is shown above, there is a cliche about fools and money that may apply. Just sayin'.

No comments: