Sunday, March 15, 2020

Mini-Bog

A week ago, and in what seems like a different era, Patty and I went to the NJ Native Plant Society annual meeting. It will no doubt be the last large gathering we go to for a while.

The last talk of the day was given by Mike Hogan, on Swamp Pinks. And after the talk he had some for sale. I purchased six. Six plugs.


Shown here in a new Mini-Bog in a wet and soon to be shady location. Inside the deer fence.

That last bit is rather important, as I once heard Swamp Pinks described as "cotton candy for deer".


Looks yummy. Mine are clearly not in the cotton candy stage yet.


I dug a hole and filled it will sphagnum moss. The Swamp Pinks looked lonely, so I took a Purple Pitcher Plant that had become pot bound and added it to the Mini-bog. While it will like the freedom to expand, I'm not sure it will be sunny enough for it here. We'll see.


We had two Swamp Azaleas outside the deer free zone, not doing well. Patty suggested relocating them. And now they flank the Mini-Bog (the blue tags give them away).


Finally, I added a rabbit guard. While it won't stop a determined bunny, hopefully it will be enough to send them looking elsewhere for a meal.

Swamp Pinks are in decline due to habitat loss and the over population of deer, which are just devastating the forest understory. Mike hopes that by making them available populations can be started by like minded folks like me. Here's hoping I can do my part to help save a species. Empowering at a time when so much seems hopeless.

No comments: