Wednesday, March 25, 2020

It's Comcastic!

And that's not a good thing.


Comcast added something called "xFi Advanced Security" which won't let me get to my blog.

First off, the url is wrong, as it is "https:// ...". But how did they determine my blog has dangerous content? Dangerous to who? It seems Comcast outsourced this to some other company, that uses "keywords and best practices" or some such bullshit. The Comcast support forum has messages galore of people who can't access software they paid for, can't access work websites (wonderful when everyone is working from home) and so forth.

Fortunately, if this is happening to you or someone you know it can be turned off. Here are the steps, which I copied from the Comcast Support forum, posted by a user not a Comcast employee:

1. Go to the Xfnity website and login to your account.
2. Click the wifi icon on the the tool bar, top of the page.
3. On the resulting page click on "More ..."
4. Click on "My Services".
5. This will take you to a page where you can turn off xFi Advanced Security.
6. You'll be presented with a toggle button to select Disable (or Enable).

It may take ten minutes to take effect.

I would love to know what triggered my blog to get flagged. But there does not appear to be any way to get that information. Just boiler plate about protecting me from bad stuff.

I mean, the blog isn't that bad, is it?

No comments: