Thursday, March 28, 2019

Weekend Wanderings ... Clerks

Clerks is a very funny movie, the first made by Kevin Smith. The action takes place mostly in a convince store.

This convince store:


Where Kevin was working at at the time.

What made the movie even more enjoyable was that some of the scenes were shot at places known to me. Like the Normandy Road overpass over Leonardville Road, two blocks from our family's first home in New Jersey. Or Posten's Funeral Home in Atlantic Highlands, NJ, the town I grew up in.

But I had never been able to identify the convince store. Based on the Normandy Road scene, I had thought it was further down Leonardville Road, in Cambell's Junction.

(Side note: Normandy Road is completely inside the Earle Naval Weapons Depot.)

Nope. It was in this very small strip mall in Leonardo. One that has obviously seen better days (and I was there to see them).


The corner store, which is currently empty and was apparently last a BBQ place, was Dodger's Soda Fountain when I was a kid, and I remember eating mint chocolate chip ice-cream and spinning on the seats at the counter. Fun times.

And next to the convince store, many years ago, my Mom and her friend Joanna owned a clothing store. The Blouse House. The store would later move to First Avenue in Atlantic Highlands. It went out of business many years ago. I have no idea how successful it was or wasn't. I do know that the alarm system in the store was the same they installed at the registrar's office at RPI. My student aid included a job in said registrar's office. And when it came time to explain to the non-student staff how to use the new system, they asked me to leave the room. Curious the things one remembers.

🎥  ðŸŽ¥  ðŸŽ¥

In the Bell Labs post, a wandering done on the same day as this one, I linked to the Wikipedia page for my high school, Henry Hudson Regional. And it was on that page I learned that my high school has eight notable alumni. Two world class trampolinists (it's a thing), a pitcher for the Colorado Rockies, and five people associated with Kevin Smith, including Mr. Smith himself.

Rather poor output if you ask me.

😵  ðŸ˜µ  ðŸ˜µ

Side note: Many years ago my friends and I were playing baseball at the ball fields across from my house in Atlantic Highlands. And these two guys came up to us wearing white shirts, black ties, black pants, and black dress shoes. Religious fanatics of some sort. And one of the questions they asked the very disinterested group of us kids was, "where do you go when you die?" to which my friend John Rosse, without missing a beat answered, "Posten's, he's my uncle." To which we all, excepting the fanatics, laughed hysterically.

Like I said, curious what you remember.

No comments: