Monday, March 11, 2019

Anticipated Encounter ...

... which fortunately did not occur.

My Dad and I were visiting Yellowstone National Park when we came upon folks lined up along the side of the road. This usually means interesting wildlife. So we joined the throng. And saw this.


But upon closer observation, most of the cameras were pointed to the right of the Moose and her calf.


Alas, I was not in a position to get a photo of what they, and the moose, were looking at.


Many, perhaps most, wildlife photographers are respectful of their subjects, and shoot from a safe distance. But there is always that one that has to get closer. And just outside the frame, hidden from me behind the foliage, is that photographer. Fortunately for him or her, there as a drop-off between them and the moose. One that mama Moose could not scale. Much to the disappointment of the crowd around me, who had their cameras at the ready for the 'when animals attack' moment.

🦌  🏔  🚗  🗺

My brother and I were in Moab, Utah hiking about when my sister called. Dad wanted a 'new' car. My sister was getting a new car. She had an old car to trade in. So we hatched a plan. My three siblings and I would divide the trade in value amongst us, buy the car from my sister, and give it to Dad.

The best part of the plan? I would drive it cross country from my sister's place in Spokane to Dad's place in New Jersey. Dad thought this was a fantabulous plan and asked if he could come along. Thus one fine day in June 2002, with no set agenda, Dad and I headed east.

Here we are at Yellowstone. Somewhere behind me are my life Sandhill Cranes.


The reason I was able to take my time on this cross country trip is that I was unemployed. My prior employer had been purchased by another company and while many of the front line workers continued to be employed with the new owners, the management team, including yours truly, was let go. A situation I find myself in once again, as my company was just bought by another, and it is not clear that everyone will find jobs in the new combined company.

Given that Patty is a teacher and gets the summer off, this may mean another cross country trip. If so, I'll try not to wait seventeen years to blog about it.

No comments: