Monday, November 6, 2017

It's Comcastic!

It seems Comcast has a cold and needs a decongestant ...

All day long I've been having internet difficulties here at home. Connectivity has been up and down. So of course I think it is something in my setup, and spend some time checking things out, rebooting computers, modems, routers, and so forth. To no avail.

So I decide to check the Comcast website. And low and behold there is an outage in my area. Internet and TV.

Now as I said my internet has been spotty. But when I tried the TV there is no signal at all.

I try to find info on the Comcast website about the outage. They even provide a 'helpful' link, (actual help not included), to "details" of the outage, (actual details not included).

So I initiate a chat session. "Instant Answers 24/7" the page proclaims.

For rather large values of instant so it seems.

I start the chat session at 2:59 pm. I'm number 148 in the queue. At 3:34 pm I get a reply, a rep asking how they can help me.

Instant, on a Comcast cosmic timescale I guess.

Of course to initiate the chat session I had to indicate my problem. Which was the service outage. So I tell them that is how they can help me, by fixing my service

At 3:40 pm the rep writes:

"As what I have confirmed, the reason why you are not getting any service properly is because of an ongoing outage in your area. This is due to some possible congestion of signals flowing in one of the poles within the area. We already sent our Engineering team out and we are now working on this."

Congestion of signals ... flowing in one of the poles.

The rep actually wrote that.

🎛 📡 🔌 📡 🎛

It seems I might have found the pole. Across from the pizza place where I picked up this evening's dinner.


I don't actually see a pole where the trucks are. I don't see any engineers either.

🎛 📡 🔌 📡 🎛

You can read about the real reason for the outage here. The dreaded "configuration issue".

It does seem to be all better now. Well, as good as Comcast ever gets.

And I'm getting an $11.96 credit on my next bill!

It's Comcastic!

No comments: