Sunday, March 5, 2017

Water Wall

It was a warm sunny February day, and we decided to visit Barnegat Lighthouse State Park.

So did quite a few other people, the parking lot, as well as the street parking outside the park, was completely full. Cars were circling the lot, waiting for others to leave. I had never seen it like this.

Now while the air was warm, the water was still cold.

Perfect conditions for a Mirage. And I was not disappointed. (Nor was it the first time.)

Click on any of the images below (and in any post) to bigafy it. Bigafying these images will give a better look at the effect.


There appears to be a wall of water across the center of the image. Not a impending tidal wave, but rather light playing tricks on the eye.


Light rays curve toward the cooler, denser air layer, bending rays that initially head up back down toward our eyes, resulting in an image where water appears above where it should be. As always, Les Cowley's Atmospheric Optics site has more info.


The park was full of people. And who could blame them, it was the first nice weekend of the year and the perfect cure for cabin fever. But I doubt many noticed the weird goings on out in the ocean. And even fewer still realized what it was.

I wonder how many things I don't see because I don't know what I'm looking at? And don't even realize there is something to see.

No comments: