Tuesday, October 20, 2020

The Meadow Project

In my previous post of the same name, we saw the Meadow covered in tarps.

This past Saturday, I removed those tarps.


And as hoped and expected, the Japanese Stiltgrass was dead. That's a good thing. The goal was to kill everything down to the dirt. That is important, as the seeds I'll be sowing need good seed to dirt contact. So to improve that contact I next raked the dead vegetation away.

I had ordered a meadow seed mix, of plants native to our area, from Pinelands Direct, during the Pinelands Preservation Alliance's fall native plant sale.

Not surprisingly I choose the Birding Mix. As the area is approximately 1,100 square feet, a quarter pound bag was (I hope!) sufficient. I mixed the seed with clean sand, to make it easy to throw about. 

And then I walked. Back and forth and forth and back. The idea is to push the seed just into the aforementioned dirt. Professionals use a roller. I stomped about in my front yard. I wonder what my neighbors would think, had they been close enough to see me.


Once sufficiently stomped I covered the seeds, and bare dirt, with salt hay. This will protect the seeds over the winter. Prevent birds from eating them. Prevent other seeds from reaching the dirt (I'm looking at you Stiltgrass!). It, along with the border of downed branches, also serve to make it look intentional. Perhaps more important for folks trying this who have actual neighbors.


I also added some more of those downed branches in the Meadow area, for interest, pollinator habitat, and because they were lying nearby, having been used to hold down the tarps.

I also installed a small pond, using a molded plastic pond liner gifted us by our friend Terry. She was  having some serious problems with another invasive grass, Bambo, much more difficult to deal with than Stiltgrass, and as part of the overall eradication plan, the pond liner, and another larger one, needed a new home. Terry will also be seeding a Meadow this fall.

And then we'll both be waiting for springtime to see what comes up.

So check back in six months or so for an update.

No comments: