Saturday, June 6, 2020

Spider Drama

I don't really know what was going here.


I believe these are female, left, and male, right, Dimorphic Jumper Spiders. But I'm no expert at spider ID. So I could be wrong.

And I've no idea what prey is in the female's cliches.


The drama played out above our side door. The presumptive male approached and retreated. Moved to its left and then to its right. I watched for over a minute as this dance went on. The female moving little if at all.

Was the male looking to snatch the prey? Did it consider the female prey? Did I happen upon mating behavior?

🕷  ðŸ•·  ðŸ•·  ðŸ•·  ðŸ•·

The Dimorphic Jumper is so named because there are two morphs of the male spider. The one in our little drama above, mottled gray and white with orange 'boxing gloves'. And an all black version, with  little tufts on its head. It seems the orange gloved morph is better attracting a mate at close quarters, while the black version is more adept at long distance courting.

In the end the male wandered off.

As did I.

No comments: