Monday, June 15, 2020

Composting

Before:


Lumber delivered.

After:



Compost bins. I used these plans, modified to use what I had on hand (i.e. 4" wood screws instead of carriage bolts). (And I did make one mistake, can you see it?)

Left over parts:



Wait, what? (And no, this wasn't a result of the 'mistake'.)

πŸ”¨  πŸ”¨  πŸ”¨  πŸ”¨  πŸ”¨

I ordered the lumber from Lowes and had it delivered. And they screwed up the order. Three 8' 2"x2"'s were mysteriously canceled from my order. And two extra 8' 2"x6"'s were included instead. I suppose I could have made 2"x2"'s out of them ...

πŸ”¨  πŸ”¨  πŸ”¨  πŸ”¨  πŸ”¨

Now that we have the bins we plan to do composting 'right'. Where by "right" I mean not the way we were doing it. Which was to throw everything in a big pile.

This pile. Or piles as it is.


The main problem with this approach is that the compost is immediately used by the plants around and even in the pile. I tried to dig some out earlier this year and it was just a mass of roots.

If you look closely just below and a little left of center you can see a bit of red. Go ahead and bigafy.

You are seeing these flowers.


Our friend Jen gave them to us for Christmas. They bloomed and died. And then tossed onto the pile. Where they seemed to have found a second life.

And added more roots to the mass. Yay.

No comments: