Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Mis-Identifying Frogs with High-tech

I have a one of those pocket computers we call phones. Specifically an iPhone XS. And since it is a computer it can run computer applications. Which are nowadays called "apps".

And one of those apps is Seek, from the iNaturalist folks.* It is used to identify and log plants and animals you come across, and can get a picture of.

I spotted this critter out by our back pond.


A Southern Leopard frog. And I thought I'd use the Seek app to log my sighting.

This is what it told me:


Now my phone has a GPS feature. And had the Seek app taken advantage of this feature, it could have determined that I was well outside of the range of the Northern Leopard Frog. It's not even clear that this species occurs in New Jersey, and if it does it is in the far northwestern corner of the state.

I did get a badge, the hexagon thing, for logging my first amphibian sighting. So there is that.

~~~~~~~~~~
* These are the same folks whose other app, iNaturalist, told me a Marmot was likely a mushroom. And when I  pointed this out to their support rep, I was told this was correct behavior. And that it could have been a mushroom.

I guess this is a case of fool me once ...

No comments: