Thursday, February 7, 2019

Yard Critter of the Week - Haploa Caterpillar

Haploa Caterpillar.


Last week it was rather cold. Cold enough to freeze bubbles you might recall. Morning temperatures last week were 6°, 7°, and 5° F when I got out of bed.


And much to my surprise I found this critter crawling about. It is sitting on the crossbar of the support of our heated birdbath.


A rather smart critter, as it found a spot near the heater. These caterpillars do overwinter as such, but generally hunkered down. They become active in early spring and turn into moths similar to this:



I say similar because although while the caterpillar and moth are both in the genus Haploa, I'm not sure that they are the same species. And there are several possibilities in this area. Complicating things is that most of the Haploa caterpillars have yellow striping, yet this one is more white in hue.


Nevertheless,  I wonder how this one found its way here?


Up the pole form the ground to under the bowl. And then onto this blog.

 🐛  🐛  🐛  🐛  🐛

You can find all of the Yard Critter posts listed here.

No comments: