Sunday, February 17, 2019

Halos

Clouds of ice crystals acting like little prisms generate a halo around the moon.


Too subtle for my phone camera and too large to be captured by my digicam. But you use what you have.


A bit later the clouds became thicker and fragmented and more colorful, while the halo became less sharp and distinct. My best guess is that the colors are light pollution. I was in a very populous area and it is a sad commentary just how much energy is wasted lighting up the sky. The lines are contrails, as this is a very busy flyway, with both Newark and JFK airports just north of here.


As cool as it would be if this was a fireball with halo, it is photographer error. Usually, I try not to move the camera while the shutter is open. It does make for a cool shot though.

No comments: