Monday, February 4, 2019

Superb Owl Sunday

We have a local spot that we visit every year around this time to look for owls. And every year we find them. This year was no different, but it was not looking good for most of our visit.

Until Patty spotted this.


That blob in the middle of the image? It's a Northern Saw-whet Owl.

We had made our way to the 'owl area' and started searching. The usual roost was empty. And quick survey found no whitewash nor pellets. Worse, a number of trees had fallen. So we broadened our search area, splitting up to look.

And Patty found some whitewash. Lots of whitewash. But try as she might she couldn't find any owls.


A slightly better view, albeit one for the 'Bird Butt Field Guide'.

Patty had even texted me, "Let's head home ...". I texted back "Ok. Meet you on the trail." (We were both bushwhacking.)

Then I got this text, "I think I have a saw-whet."

And she did.


It was way up in the tree. I'm using a zoom lens at 600mm and it is still a small image. I have no idea how she spotted it. From most angles it is completely hidden.


Even the best viewing angles still have branches blocking the view, as you can see in this cropped image.

🦉  ðŸ¦‰  ðŸ¦‰  ðŸ¦‰  ðŸ¦‰

Here is an 'image of the owl' taken with my iPhone.


That's some good spottin' by Patty.

And this is what made her look up in this tree, "whitewash" ...

Image courtesy Patty Rehn

... which is a nice name for owl poop.

🦉  ðŸ¦‰  ðŸ¦‰  ðŸ¦‰  ðŸ¦‰

The title of this post was stolen from The Atlantic, from this post of superb owl images, sent to me by my friend Adam. Check it out.

No comments: