Sunday, April 19, 2009



Continuing the trip down Quaker Bridge Road we upon this rather large puddle. The bownish color at the bottom of the image is called "cedar water" and is "tea colored as a result of humates and a lack of organisms to decompose them, as well as by tannic acid present in plants, especially Atlantic White Cedar, and also by naturally forming iron present in the streams" (quote lifted from here). The blue and green color at the top is reflected from the sky and trees respectively. I don't know where the purple comes from; do brown and blue make purple?

Now you may be wondering about the connection to the theme. Well, at the top right of the image is a reflection of my Ford Escape. I've been trying to think of how I could get an image of my Escape that wasn't just a straight up shot. You see, it is a Ford Escape Hybrid.

7 comments:

Ron a.k.a. Danudin said...

Stretches of the Murray River have that same effect so I can identify with that phot, exquisite photo.

Kerri said...

The mix of colors is really neat. I'm used to seeing green from all the limestone we have down here. I've never seen blue before now!

mljrbg said...

The colors and reflections are fabulous. Very unique shot for this theme.

I just got a Ford Escape and love it (not a Hybrid).

Chesney said...

What you won't do for an image - this is wonderful - love all those stunning colors, but you are right, the reflection of the escape makes the image!!

Mike said...

You consistently manage to get a great range of color in your photos. I would love to know more about your processing technique.

As always, these photos have great color, clarity and subject matter. You continue to impress.

Clara said...

Beautiful pictures. I expecially like the one with the running water.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Thanks for the interesting info about the science behind the colors. I love the way you incorporated your environmentally correct vehicle into the scene...