Monday, June 28, 2021

Terra

When I put together the set up described in the Outside In post, I was disappointed at the lack of wireless options for bringing the sounds of the outdoors indoors.

I found exactly zero options. Thus "lack" was a bit of an understatement.

That could change. But it isn't looking good at the moment.

Image used without permission. I hope they don't mind.

Scott Whittle, coauthor of The Warbler Guide and general nice guy (I went on a birding trip with him once, so it is a small sample set I admit) has a Kickstarter project to create not just a wireless outdoor sound transmitting device, but a device that will add the data collected at your site to a database tracking birds and other wildlife, a potentially giant citizen science data collection project. Think eBird without having to enter lists. With each Terra device an observer that does not sleep.

I backed I t almost as soon as I heard about it.

It is called Terra. Here is the Kickstarter link: Terra. Go ahead and check it out.

As of this writing they are just under $50,000 short of the funding goal, with only two and a half days to go. Given that when I pledged, late last week, it was over $100K short it is closing fast. My fingers are crossed.

I'm a sucker for high-tech gadgets like this, so I really hope it reaches the funding limit.

So take a look, become a backer if you'd like, and maybe we'll be both be part of an awesome citizen science project to benefit birds and other wildlife. As well as enjoying the sounds of the outside world in the comfort of our living rooms.

No comments: