Monday, December 30, 2019

Eye in the Sky

At least, that's what it looked like.


I was taking a break from some yard work, chipping wood left over from the Solstice Bonfire for the garden paths. Only to have my enjoyment of a tasty brew  interrupted as I looked up in the sky.

And saw it was looking back at me.

👁  ☁️  👁  ☁️  👁

I had noticed a sundog earlier in the day, albeit on the other side of the sun from this one.


So I was primed for atmospheric phenomena. But did it have to interrupt my beer drinking?


Knowing the ephemeral nature of these things, I used my phone (iPhone XS) to make these images. By the time I went into the house and returned with a 'real' camera it was gone.


Look closely and you'll see multiple contrail shadows, indicative of multiple cloud layers, adding to the complexity of the sky display.


Also cool, a Bald Eagle flew by (the black speck toward the lower right edge; bigafy to see.)


☁️  👁  ☁️  👁  ☁️

No it isn't Sauron. It is light reflecting and refracting through ice crystals high in the sky.


The lower 'eyelid' is an Upper Tangent Arc and the upper, a Suncave Parry Arc (you might recall this post, a Sunvex Parry Arc, which as featured as an OPOD; this completes the set!).


The Parry Arc is one of the rarer arcs and well worth interrupting my beer for. As always, you can learn more at the fantabulous Atmospheric Optics site.

As always, keep looking up!

No comments: