Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Around the Yard

A few odd and ends from around the yard as the year comes to a close ...

I was out behind the garage and I spooked an Eastern Cottontail. It shot off toward the deer fence and, to my amazement, went straight through as if the fence wasn't even there.


Turns out that for this particular spot, the fence wasn't there. It may not be obvious in the image above, but several squares of the fence are missing. I've not yet decided how to repair it. I'm leaning towards reinforcing the areas around the hole, but leaving the hole open so small critters can come and go. We just don't want it to grow larger.

🐇  🐇  🐇

Here is a link to a tumblely Eastern Grey Squirrel, eating bird seed on our garden path. It was almost as if it was drunk. Maybe it ate one mushroom too many? Careful inspection with binoculars did not discern any physical ailment. Patty had seen similar behavior the day before. I've not seen it since, which perhaps does not bode well for our stumbler. I hope it is ok.

🐿  🐿  🐿

Another link, actually two links, this time to a Bat flying over the yard. On December 27th. We had actually seen one as we were driving back from Browns Mills for the second time that morning (don't ask, but Patty did eventually find her glasses). Uncommon even in spring and summer, curious to see now.

🦇  🦇  🦇


Our Beauty Berry bush has been a hit with the birds this year. I posted about a Hermit Thrush earlier this month. Here is a Ruby-crowned Kinglet.

Berries aren't the only thing on the menu. Sometimes, birds are.


Patty and I were sitting in the living room when the birds in the garden scattered. One even hit the living room window in its haste to get away (it was ok; startled us though). And then, just as it secured its prey and flew off, I spotted the hawk. Most likely a Cooper's hawk. I tried, but could not relocate it in the trees around the yard. And two days later, two rainy days later, all that is left are the wet feathers.

🐦  🦅  🐦

This morning, when I looked out the bedroom window, I noticed that a large branch had come crashing down on the driveway. A branch that had broken over a year ago and hung precariously over the driveway all that time. Finally it had fell.


And it was covered in Lichens. Someday I'll get serious about identifying the various Lichens around the yard. But for now I'll just enjoy their alien beauty.

That was in the 'front' driveway. Over around on the 'back' driveway a tree had fallen and partially blocked the way. So I grabbed a saw and headed over. The dead wood was easy to cut through.


And the dead wood was host to a variety of Fungi, another form of life that I'll someday get serious about identifying. And another that I'll just enjoy sharing the yard with.

🍄  🍄  🍄

The past week has seen temperatures in the 40's and 50's °F. But the week prior saw highs in the teens and twenties. I much prefer colder temps in wintertime.


One thing I like are the patterns the ice forms.


We live in a wet area and on what was once a blueberry farm, with plenty of nooks and grannies for water to pool and ice to form.


And then there is Needle Ice, which I discovered for myself last year.


I found it in several places in the yard on the Winter Solstice, which was the last really cold day we had around here. Good thing we had a fire.


Also on the Solstice the fish pond started to freeze over. I don't think the fish share my preference for cold weather as they move more and more slowly as the temperature falls.

As do we all I suppose. Stay warm. And in the new year enjoy the wonders that are all around you.

No comments: