Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Yard Critter - Southern Leopard Frog

Rana utricularia aka Lithobates sphenocephalus.


I've blogged about this critter before, click here to see, but based on my sightings,  it is a rare visitor compared to the other frogs we see in the yard.


I spotted this one when, while working in the yard, it hopped just into the feeder garden from the bit of lawn between garden and fish pond. Thinking it was hidden it didn't move while I snapped away with my phone. Like with the Northern Gray Treefrog and Wood Frog, I've learned that if I move very slowly I can get quite close. But in this case there was too much foliage and as I moved in I rattled the plants and spooked the frog. And it hopped away.

It is nice to know they are here though.

🐸  🐸  🐸  🐸  🐸

You can find all of the Yard Critter posts listed here.

No comments: