Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Yard Critter - Woody Woodpecker

More accurately known as a Pileated Woodpecker.


Once considered rare in these parts, we've seen them every year since we moved here. When we first started reporting them in eBird we needed to provide additional info, such as a photo, to "prove" we actually saw this species.* We, and presumably others, have reported it so often such proof is no longer required.**


This bird, a female, spent a good fifteen minutes in the yard from when I spotted her. Going from tree to tree looking for food. Rarely holding still long enough for a good photo, nor sitting in a clear spot. So I put the camera down and picked the binoculars up and just enjoyed her visit. I hope she becomes a regular visitor.


To that end I made and installed this suet feeder, based on plans I found on the interwebs. But so far the only birds I've seen using it are the Tufted Titmouses. I'l keep watching ...

You can find all of the Yard Critter posts listed here.

🐦  🐦  🐦  🐦  🐦

* I reported one on a Monday a couple years back, with a picture, and again on the subsequent Wednesday, sans photo. An eBird reviewer sent me an email asking for more info to 'prove' I saw the bird on Wednesday. I referred the reviewer to my Monday report. I'm still waiting to hear back.

** I spoke to the current eBird reviewer for our area, not the same person as in the previous note, who confirmed that the bird had been reported often enough to remove the rarity designation. Very cool.

No comments: