Tuesday, March 3, 2009



This is Comet Lulin as it passes through the constellation Leo last Friday. This was a couple of days past its closest approach to Earth. Also visible in the image (larger version here) are a meteor, the thin streak below and to the right of the comet. And a mystery object, another shorter streak to the below and to the left of the comet.

Why am I sure that one streak is a meteor but the other isn't? It is because I took several images over the course of an hour and the mystery object shows up in four of them, traveling through the field of the image, for 48 minutes. Meteors burn up in much less time. My guess is that it is an asteroid or a slow moving satellite.

Update: Apparently it is a geosynchronous satellite. Cool.

8 comments:

Ron a.k.a. Danudin said...

Yeah yeah it's great but I still hate you I tried for about six hours 4nights running and all I saw was clouds, And to rub it in you publish perfect shots. It's just not fair.

jo said...

Cool is right!

terricreates said...

Nice, your lucky to see them. Are you using 300mm or more?

mljrbg said...

Very cool. Fabulous shot!!

Debra said...

Awesome shot!

MevetS said...

@ top5cats: For this shot I used the Canon 100 mm f/2.8 Macro lens. I had it mounted on a Losmandy GM-8 mount tracking the sidereal rate.

@ Everyone: Thanks, I'm glad you like it.

BobbieCoughlin said...

You got a picture of the green comet? COOL! It's gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

I could never have captured this. It's great.