Saturday, January 17, 2009



I visited Conowingo Dam today (more images to come). It was cold. When I left my house at about 9:30 AM it was 10º F. When I next checked the temperature, at about 3:00 PM, it had risen all the way to 19º F. This is an image of the back of my camera, the whitish areas around the on-off switch is ice. The moisture in my breath has frozen on the camera. If you look closely you can see ice on and in the thumb wheel around the "SET" button. This wheel was literally frozen stuck. I could not move it. But other than the shutter button seeming to be stiffer than usual, the camera worked fine.

7 comments:

Chesney said...

Hope your camera survives....You know it's cold when... :)

mljrbg said...

Now that's something I've never seen before!! Glad your camera survived. Nice shot.

Ron a.k.a. Danudin said...

Now the important question, I hope you didn't spill any Whiskey when that nasty ice attacked your camera, drink it neat in future. Dam Lucky.

Anonymous said...

That's dedication - or crazy obsession maybe - to spend that much time in this bone-chilling cold to take photos! I'm impressed.

MevetS said...

@ Danudin. Only 4.5 weeks until I leave for the Florida Keys. The only ice there will be in the drinks! I'm counting the days.

@ Karen. I'd go with crazy.

@ Everyone. Thanks for the comments.

Kerri said...

Whoa. I wouldn't have lasted very long out there! That's a nice shot!

Anonymous said...

That one is perfect for this theme, Steve!