Sunday, November 9, 2008



Cows on a hill in the fog. 

This is the first of a couple of images made at Point Reyes National Seashore, which is north of San Francisco, California. I was staying in San Mateo, which is south of San Francisco and when I started out that morning the weather was perfect. When I arrived at the visitor's center at Point Reyes the sun was shining. But as I drove toward the shoreline the fog rolled in, greatly limiting photo ops. 

There are a number of working cattle ranches in Point Reyes, grandfathered in when the National Seashore was created. In fact it was a joint effort of the Sierra Club and the ranchers to preserve the land and the two groups asked the National Park Service for help.

I had expected to see wildlife and my mammal list included coyote, elk, squirrels, and deer at Point Reyes. But I hadn't expected to see cows on the hillsides.

No comments: