Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Arrival

In this post I noted that birds that have usually arrived in our corner of the planet by now had not.

One such bird is the Snow Goose. Large flocks of which can be seen in the sky and in the fields about our neighborhood.


This week they arrived.


This is just part of the flock I passed while on my way to work. One estimate had the flock at 10,000 individuals.

That's a lot of birds.


By the time I passed by many had flown to their morning feeding grounds.

These last two images are a mile or two apart, the flock having split up.


It is an amazing sight that these images don't come close to conveying. Here's a link to a video I took with my phone that gives some little sense of the spectacle. (I said little.)

I pulled over just to watch, the only car to do so. Do other people not notice? Not care? Worry about being late for work? (I'm lucky to have a job where I don't need to clock in.)

Conversely, what things am I missing that don't breach my attention threshold?

No comments: