Sunday, February 25, 2018

Yard Critter of the Week - Eastern Pondhawk

Eastern Pondhawk.

Eastern Pondhawks are voracious predators. And they patrol the airspace above the two ponds in our yard.


I spotted this particular specimen one day last July (July 25th, my mom's birthday!).  I watched as it snatched a very large fly and landed on the leaf to dine.

In the time it took me to rush inside to grab my camera and get back to shoot, you'll see that it has made quick work of the fly's head (click to bigafy).


Alas the big lens was off in Canada with Patty, so the bigificaiton will only get you so much.


These are just one of the species of dragonflies which call our yard home. And not the only one to be a yard critter of the week methinks ...
🐝🐛🦋🐞🐜🦗

You can find all of the Yard Critter posts listed here.

No comments: