Saturday, January 2, 2016

Red Bow

When the sun is very low on the horizon the clouds often take on a red or pink hue. This is because the other wavelengths get filtered out, scattered by the atmosphere and any particles suspended in it. And if it so happens that the conditions are right for the formation of a rainbow, then instead of the prismatic colors the bow is red.


Driving home from visiting my parents I stopped at a supermarket for dinner fixings. And when I came there was the bow.


Alas, the only camera I had with me was my phone. So not the best shots.

And in the other direction, this:


Stopped at a traffic light and watching one of the most fantastic sunsets I'd ever seen. And my camera gear twenty miles away. Arrrgggghhh!

Of course, by the time I got home the show was over. Maybe next time ...

No comments: