Sunday, May 11, 2014

About that Photowalk ...

I mentioned in my last post that I was one of the leaders on a photowalk. Not only did I lead, I also took some pictures.

No shadows ...


I wonder what this is ...


What a cute little nest ...


Quite the showman ...



The photowalk was part of the DVOC's Warbler Weekend (click the link and scroll down to April meetings). I, along with Patty Rehn (two time DVOC photo contest winner) and Linda Widdop (photo blogger and co-winner of the Bob Billings Big Year Challenge, along with the aforementioned Ms. Rehn) led a small and enthusiastic group of photographers around the John Heinz NWR at Tinicum.

I managed to get a few good shots in while helping the participants with their photo techniques. "Move closer!" was my tip of the day.


Still no shadows.


It is a National Wildlife Refuge located in a city, Philadelphia, which as of this writing is the fifth largest in the United States. Thus scenes such as this one.


The refuge has a variety of habitats, as can be seen from these images. It is a very cool and very conveniently located place.


In addition to the birds we were treated to a fish orgy.


The roiling water our clue that the carp were spawning.


With the males jostling for position as the female lays her eggs.



We ended the walk watching and photographing the antics of some turtles as they jockeyed for position to sun themselves.


Careful, things can be slippery when wet ...


Going, going ...

The day was a lot of fun and I do hope that they invite me to do it again.

No comments: