Sunday, August 22, 2010

Plant List

I went on a plant geek field trip on Saturday to a savannah in the Pine Barrens of New Jersey. The trip leader, Russell Juelg of the Pinelands Preservation Alliance encouraged each participant to keep a plant list.

Here's mine.

(Well, part of it anyway.)

Chrysopsis falcata (Sickle-leaved Aster)


Juncus caesariensis (NJ Rush)


Platanthera blephariglottis (White Fringed Orchid)
((A wee bit past prime.))


Lobelia nuttallii (Nuttall's Lobelia)


Drosera intermedia (Spatulate-leaved Sundew)


Vaccinium macrocarpon (Cranberry)


Wolf Spider
(Not a plant.)


Rhexia virginica (Meadow Beauty)


Aster nemralis (Bog Aster)


Polygala brevifolia (Short-leaved Milkwort)


Eastern Tailed-Blue
(A Flying Flower?)


Hypericum canadense (Canada St. John's-wort)


Schizaea pusilla (Curly Grass Fern)


Drosera intermedia (Spatulate-leaved Sundew)
((Yeah, a repeat, but I like carnivores.))


Sagittaria latifolia (Common Arrowhead)


Leopard Frog
(Another non-plant)
((If you look closely you can see my reflection in its eye.))


Ludwigia hirtella
(I don't know the common name.)
Update: Hairy Ludwigia


Lycopus amplectens (Sessile-leaved Bugleweed)


Sclerolepis ? (Bog Buttons)
((I don't have a specific epithet  for this one, as all my references expect the flower to be pink.))
Update: Sclerolepis Uniflora


Pearl Crescent
(Another butterfly.)
((You knew that, right?))


Lobelia cardinalis (Cardinal Flower)


Hypericum spathulatum (Shrubby St. John's-wort)


Hypericum  virginicum (Marsh St. Joh's-wort)


Utricularia cornuta (Horned Bladderwort)


We saw lots of other stuff but I was unable to get good images. :-(

Maybe next time.


5 comments:

Susan Gets Native said...

Lovely....
A man who knows his flowers. That's a rare breed. At least around here.

Anonymous said...

Quite a neat 'list'. Some beauties there and I love the names....

Anonymous said...

Wish we had plant GEEK seminars...how I would love that! Wow, gorgeous plants....I always learn something from your blog!

Rosanne said...

Your pictures are great. The name of the Bog Buttons is Bog Buttons (Sclerolepis uniflora). My photos of the flower show a light tint of pink, so I feel rather confident of the species. Thanks for the name of the butterfly; I couldn't decide on which one. Glad you did the work for me. The common name for the Ludwigia is Hairy Ludwigia. I guess it is hairy. LOL See ya Thursday. Ro

Anonymous said...

What a rich list and place. I especially love the sun dews, very different from what I sort of know.