Sunday, December 7, 2008



This is a picture of the first photo I ever had published, in the magazine it was published in. And I got paid $50! Well sort of. I got a $50 credit with Sky Publishing. The photo was published in the March/April issue of the short lived bimonthly magazine Night Sky which, not surprisingly to those paying attention, was published by Sky Publishing. (If you are wondering how a picture taken on July 29th was in the March/April issue, it's simple: I have a time machine.*)

Sky Publishing's flagship magazine is/was Sky & Telescope (I say is/was as Sky Publishing is no more, having been purchased by New Track Media, but Sky & Telescope is still going strong). Sky & Tel (as it is affectionately known) is geared toward the more experienced amateur astronomer. Night Sky was aimed more at newcomers to the hobby.

I submitted my image to Sky & Tel and they accepted it, for Night Sky. Several months later Night Sky was gone. I do not believe there was a causal relationship.

The original image can be found here. I used the same technique to make my time theme image.

(* or it was taken in 2005 and published in 2006. Unfortunately, my time machine only goes forward.)

1 comment:

LauraHinNJ said...

Ok... I've rummaged around your archives enough to wonder why you didn't mention your blog today?

Great pics. Nice to have met you.