Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Winter is Coming

One of the reasons for the Warbler Show is that the birds are migrating. And luckily for us, and you dear readers, is that migration goes through our yard.

The Warblers are heading for points south, some going as far as South America.

Other birds, like the two shown here, also migrate. And in this case our yard is the final destination. 


Patty spotted this species, White-throated Sparrow, in the yard a couple of days before I spotted them. This is one of the first I saw and I saw five that day.


I was the first to spot the return of the Dark-eyed Juncos. So far, I've only seen one at any one time. But it's just a matter of time until the rest of the flock arrives.

The arrival of these two species is a sure harbinger of winter. 

And given that we had to turn the heat on this week, with overnight temps dipping in the the thirties Fahrenheit, it seems winter is here.

No comments: