Monday, November 2, 2020

The Shrew

As long time readers know, our cat Max likes to spend time outside. And as cats belong indoors, we keep  Max on a leash out on our deck. This to prevent him from preying on the local native fauna.

But even then, sometimes he manages to find some critter to 'play with'. And a couple of nights ago when I  went out to bring him in I noticed he had something.

A Masked Shrew. These critters are small. I had initially thought Max had a large insect.

This is not the first time Max has encountered one of these nocturnal mammals. But this time had a better outcome. Although perhaps not for the efforts of the shrew.


Once I realized what was going on I grabbed Max and pulled him away from the Shrew. Holding him on the deck. Rather than run away the Shrew did two things. As shown in the images above, it would run a bit away and then roll over and 'play dead'. And after a moment or two would get up and do it again. 

The other thing it would do would be to run and hide under Max. Which would confuse Max (and truth be told, me as well). Max would be crouched down, ready to pounce, and the Shrew would make a beeline for Max and snuggle in under his belly. 

This reminded me of a story Charles Darwin related about the Marine Iguanas of the Galapagos Islands. These lizards have nothing to fear on land, but when feeding in the water have a variety of predators. So whenever in danger they head toward land. Darwin would pick up a lizard and throw it into the ocean. The lizard, sensing danger would scramble back onto land. Straight back the Sir Charles, who would promptly toss it back. This went on for several rounds.

I hypothesize that the Shrew, sensing danger, headed for the nearest dark hiding place. Which on the empty deck was under Max. Fortunately for it, I came along when I did.


And eventually it ran away.

It was very cool to see a live one.

🐀  🐀  🐀

You can find all of the Yard Critter posts listed here.

No comments: