Sunday, January 7, 2018

Yard Critter of the Week - Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

The Yellow-bellied Sapsucker.


I've seen this species before, in the yard even.


But this is the first time I recall seeing the yellow belly.

I guess it helped that this time the bird was about three meters* from my vantage point in our living room.


It was Patty who spotted him, while lying on the couch reading. It was a snow day and school was closed (lucky her!). Me, I was working form home. So when she sent the text that the bird was here I was able to grab the camera (the marvels of modern communication!).

Just in time to see the bird scamper up the tree and out of sight.

Fortunately it came back.

Interestingly, it was pecking away at the Virginia Creeper vines.


We don't know what was so alluring about the vines. As the temperatures had been well below freezing for some time, I doubt there was much sap flowing through them.

Nor do we know where the red berry came from!


The bird spent much of the day on this tree. And Patty and I both enjoyed watching.


But like the other Sapsuckers which have visited the yard, it was a one day wonder.

You can find all of the Yard Critter posts listed here.

📏📐📏📐📏📐📏📐📏

* About 10 feet for you metrically challenged folks out there.

No comments: