Sunday, October 22, 2017

Yard Critter of the Week - Great Blue Heron

"There's a Great Blue Heron in the yard", Patty hollered to me as she grabbed the camera.

And so there was (I was left with my iPhone to take the shot below).


As I came charging into the dining room she more calmly noted, "We need to scare it off", as she was busy snapping away. (Translation: you need to scare it away.)

It was eyeing the fish pond. Good thing we had the fence.

Image courtesy Patty Rehn
We'd seen them flying over the yard now and again, and wondered why they never visited the ponds. The fish and frogs would be easy pickin's.

And we didn't want that. And as far as we knew, none had stopped in for a visit.

So I went out to chase it off.

And it flew.

To our back pond. A highly non-optimal result.


So I kept chasing (camera in hand). And eventually it decided to head to somewhere a bit less stressful. With fewer paparazzi.

We haven't seen it since. But of course we aren't here during the week (damn mortgage!), excepting the occasional days I work from home. So it may be treating our ponds as a couple of fast food joints.

And that would not be good.

🐦  🐦  🐦  🐦  🐦

You can find all of the Yard Critter posts listed here.

No comments: