Sunday, July 11, 2021

Mothing at Bull's

After we got home from our Beach Babe adventure our friend Marty stopped by and we had a traditional Fourth of July hotdog lunch with potato salad and of course beer. After eating Patty and Marty went off to find a Dickcissel (they found it!). 

And I took a nap. It would not be enough ...

Because we went to our friend Bull's place to moth. And mothing occurs after dark. And Civil Twilight is 9:02, Nautical Twilight 9:43, and Astronomical Twilight 10:30 pm.  

So while I got some mothing in that evening, I also got some sleeping in.

But while I was awake ...


We had at least three of these Imperial Moths, along with at least five Io Moths (which I did not get any pictures of, sorry).


We think this is a Spiny Oakworm Moth. 


And this, perhaps an Ilia Underwing moth.

It wasn't just moths ...


This is a Four-spotted Owlfly. Note the split eye. A dragonfly like insect with butterfly antennas. 


This is a Loghorn Beetle, specifically a Spined Oak Borer Beetle. I like the googly-eyes. 


But the star of the show was this Oak Treehopper. Clearly an alien species. Very cool looking for sure. 

I wonder what else I’d have seen had I stayed awake?

No comments: