Thursday, December 9, 2010

Ducks and Dinner

This past weekend I joined several members of my WSB team for our annual north shore run, which we call "Ducks and Dinner".

We start at Sandy Hook and head south to Belmar, birding the lakes and ponds and ocean at various spots along the way. (This is the reverse of the trip a friend and I took the week prior.) Ducks and other waterfowl find New Jersey a congenial place to spend the winter.

I found it cold, it didn't break freezing all day, and windy (but that's ok, I like cold).

We end the day at a nice warm restaurant.

(I like warm too.)

Here's some of what we saw. See if you can tell which are ducks and which are not. Bonus points for species names.

Good luck!

1. 


2.

3. and 4. 
(A subtle difference.)

5.
(I've no idea the species.)

6.

7.

8.

9.

10.

11.

12.

13. and 14.
(Hint: 13 is a repeat.)

15.

16.

17.

18.

19.

20.

21.
(Yummy!)



2 comments:

Louis Dallara Photography said...

Nice series and they left me with a smile, and it don't get much better than that :)
Thanks for sharing !

Ron a.k.a. Danudin said...

No 5 has the bill of a Stork and the feathers and head of a Heron, so I doubt it's a Duck. Is that the one you fried?