Sunday, September 26, 2010

Bird ID Help

Readers of this blog know that I've recently traveled out to the desert southwestern USA. While there I saw a number of birds I was unfamiliar with and have had trouble identifying. Here are two I could use some help with. Please leave your ID's in the comments. Thanks.


This appears to be some type of large duck or goose. But the bill is throwing me off. Any ideas?


A shorebird of some type, but I can't find it in any of my shorebird guides. Again, any clues?

Of course, the desert sun can play tricks on a man, so maybe I was just seeing things, all a mirage?

;-)

7 comments:

MRC said...

Not having traveled out west I can't provide positive IDs; but up top, in the first pic, it might be a heron of some sort, sitting in the water.

In the second picture I'm much more confident in saying that you've got a Ring-Necked Turtle Dove, (Streptopelia risoria), in for a bird bath I'd presume!

Ron a.k.a. Danudin said...

Top one sure looks like a Blue Heron to me, Here is a small example I took in my neighbours garden, half a world away from your desert, but big siilarities as well!

Ron a.k.a. Danudin said...

Sorry here is the link:

http://danudin.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/pest-control-01.jpg

Ron

LauraHinNJ said...

All that water must have those desert birds confused!

MevetS said...

@ MRC: Yep, the top picture is a great blue heron. And I'm thinking more toward S. decaocto, eurasian collared-dove. If you look at the in focus bird in the prior post, you'll see the black feathers at the base of the tail, typical of decaocto.

@ Ron: Yep, great blue heron. (Nice shot.)

@ Laura: Perhaps just crazy from the heat. ;-)

MRC said...

Aha! You're right! Learn something new everyday. A very nice comparison of the two species here.

Susan Gets Native said...

You're mental.