Sunday, March 14, 2010



A "superb monotony of sawgrass under the world of air."
- Marjory Stoneman Douglas, The Everglades, River of Grass


The initial attraction of the Everglades for most I suspect is the wildlife. It certainly was for me. There is certainly no "in your face" magnificence to the landscape as there is out west.

I've visited every February for the past six years. And each time I drive in and see the saw grass prairie stretch out to the horizon I feel a curious joy. I smile. I'm very happy. I'm here and it is good. And I'm not really sure why, nor how to really describe the feeling. (I'm smiling just thinking of it.)

There is a subtle beauty in the wide expanses; in the hammocks; in the cypress swamps; in that river of grass; and of course, in the wildlife. (One that I've not been truly successful in photographing, but I'll keep trying.)

And I will continue to return, over and over, to that "superb monotony".

1 comment:

Chesney said...

I can see why you smile...especially in this image...how beautiful, I love how the tree sparkles and says look at me! I am looking forward to your return w/ pictures! :)