Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Clockwork



What a difference a day makes. Note the relative position of the the Moon and Venus in the image above (click on the image to bigafy, Venus is at the lower left, just above the trees) versus the those yesterday. The crescent is also significantly larger.

The Moon moves approximately its diameter, half a degree, against the background stars per hour. I a day it moves about 13 degrees against the background stars. A motion I suspect most people don't notice at all.

But then, other than when full, I suspect most people don't notice the Moon at all. And that saddens me.

3 comments:

Chesney said...

That feels like I was just looking at it from my back deck...it is just beautiful this evening! Another fabulous capture!

Ron a.k.a. Danudin said...

Love the narration, but have a suggestion; "Take a photo of an orrery, somewhere and the superimpose it in a muted fashion on this shot and it will give potency to your words. In case this is something new i leave this link, but you search it out.

http://www.longnow.org/clock/orrery/

Anonymous said...

Amazing photo! It reminds me of the Cheshire Cat. :)