Monday, July 24, 2017

Yard Critter of the Week - Whistlepig

The Whistlepig.


Also known as the Ground Hog or Woodchuck or a whole bunch of other common names.

But I like "Whistlepig" the best, although it is not a pig and I've never heard one whistle. Its scientific name is Marmota monax. Yep, it is a marmot. Albeit a lowland one which lives not in the mountains but rather in fields and forests.


These are one of if not the most skittish critters that visit the yard. I spotted this one in our side garden, and even though I was in the house it somehow knew I was trying to take its picture and quickly ran off into the woods. This is only the second time we've seen them in the yard.

And they aren't something we really want in our yard, as they will feast on our garden plants. And thus, as with the first one, I set out a trap. And just like the when I put the trap out that time I caught not the Whistlepig, instead I caught a raccoon.

This time I caught two Northern Raccoons (one is tucked under the other in the image below). I let them go, although when I opened the trap they took their time leaving. They seemed to like it in there.


Since I put out the trap I've not seen the Whistlepig. Perhaps its moved to friendlier parts.

🦝  🦝  🦝  🦝  🦝

You can find all of the Yard Critter posts listed here.

No comments: